Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Restoration

I was asked to help restoring a photo from the 1940s. This is how it turned out, and I felt good about being able to help saving both the memories of that person and preserving a bit of the history.


It took a lot of efforts matching the missing parts of the hair and the forehead. I evaluated several different methods and ended up using several of them for different parts. I copied parts from the chin to the forehead and used both the healing brush and clone tool before I was happy with the result. Finding the correct tones in the gray scale for the different parts of the photo was also combersome. It took several dogde and burn-layers. Actually I didn't use the actual dodge and burn tools, but a 50% gray layer in overlay mode which I painted with black or white depending on if I was "dodging" and "burning". A fun and satisfying project that actually lead to more work for the customers neighbor.

No comments: